Volunteer IT Support
Purpose of the role
To assist in the use and development of IT resources in the office.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
Developing IT in the office
- Have a broad understanding of the IT requirements of the office and the solutions available.
- Contribute to the office’s continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Play a role in developing and implementing the CAB IT Strategy.
Maintaining the IT system and providing technical support
- Respond to requests from computer users regarding hardware, software, or network connection problems or questions.
- Resolve problems or provide “how-to” instructions.
- Ensure that a regular back-up routine is followed and checked.
- Ensure that anti-virus software is kept up to date across the network.
- Make sure that the servers and workstations are kept up to date with the latest security fixes and updates recommended by the software manufacturers.
- Refer the more difficult problems or non-routine requests to other technical support staff or the IT Service Desk.
- Advise users of the ongoing status of their request when necessary.
- Set up and review records to check hardware / software inventory, update service calls, and verify or modify user identification records.
- Update and revise reference materials and work procedures.
- Ensure that all work carried out is documented and clearly understandable.
- Ensure that Health and Safety Regulations for Display Screen Equipment are in place and staff and volunteers are aware of them.
- Ensure that software licences are obtained and updated for all software.
- Coach users in software use.
- Arrange disposal of old IT equipment.
- Develop and maintain office website.
- Carry out basic coaching for other IT users.
Personal and professional development
- Attend courses / meetings as agreed.
- Keep up to date on new IT developments.
- Prepare for and attend regular supervision sessions.
Other tasks and responsibilities
- Uphold the aims and principles of the CAB service and its equality and diversity policies.
- Keep up to date with policies and procedures relevant to office work and undertake relevant training within guidelines issued by Citizens Advice.
- Abide by health and safety guidelines and share responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues.
- Attend appropriate internal and external meetings as agreed by service manager.
Personal skills and qualities that an IT worker needs:
- Knowledge of:
- Microsoft operating systems
- PC hardware and peripherals.
- Microsoft Office
- Diagnostic tools and online monitoring software.
- Ability to:
- Communicate in a one-to-one or group setting regarding technical or non-technical subjects.
- Understand and apply written material.
- Input data or information accurately.
- Learn role-related material through oral instruction, observation and reading.
- Diagnose technical problems and recommend solutions.
- Monitor and maintain health and safety standards in the use of IT equipment.
- Monitor and maintain own standards.
- Work on own initiative, prioritise own work and meet deadlines – within established procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills.
- Understand and operate within the aims and principles of the CAB service and its equality and diversity policies.
- Operate safely within health and safety policies and procedures.
- Plan strategically into the Information Age.
- Design and maintain a web site.